This recipe too is actually vegan! As explained in my other recipe post (see my Vegan Brownies recipe ) I am not actually vegan, however I do cook and bake vegan sometimes.
I attempted a vegan banana muffin recipe a few months back and LOVED it, it trumped my normal banana bread recipe ten fold and has such become my go to. It’s easy to make, keeps for about a week and a half and isn’t too un-healthy to grab as a snack especially with the additions I suggest.
Over the past few months, using my housemates and myself as guinea pigs I have changed the recipe a tad. As I eat predominantly vegetarian, but can be quite lazy/ short of time I am often worried about my protein intake, and so this banana loaf has two key ingredients to add a bit more protein to my diet; chia seeds and walnuts. Chia seeds in particular are a go to source of protein for vegans and seeing as I chuck them in all my smoothies I figured it couldn’t hurt to throw them in a cake (see here for a BBC article on the benefit of Chia! www.bbcgoodfood.com).
Without further ado you will need;
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- tsp salt
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 50g chopped walnuts (optional)
- 40g blended almonds (optional I threw them in a few times and liked it)
- Chia seeds (optional, mix in as much as you like)
- 50g sultanas (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°
- Mix together all the dry ingredients together in your mixing bowl, not including the walnuts, almonds, sultanas or chia seeds
- In a separate bowl mix together the oil, coconut milk and 2 mushed up bananas (this may require a third bowl and a fork!).
- Add the mixed wet ingredients to the dry till combined.
- Add in nuts, sultanas and chia seeds (you can follow my quantities or really just add as much as you want!)
- Pour the mixture into a loaf tin, or into a muffin case if you’d prefer*!
*I normally have enough for a loaf tin and 6 small muffins
Bake at 180° for around 30-35 minutes, you can check it’s cooked by inserting a clean knife, if it comes out clean or relatively clean go ahead and take it out!
Let me know if you try this recipe out!